As of September 1, 2016, the Missoula Cultural Council will officially change its organization name to Arts Missoula.
The name change was approved earlier this summer by the organization’s Board of Directors. “Our new name more accurately reflects who we are and what we do,” said executive director Tom Bensen. “This organization is dedicated to supporting the development and coordination of arts and cultural activity in Missoula, and this name and logo change is a logical step in that direction. For people who appreciate the arts, Arts Missoula is the catalyst brings artist and audiences together, and our board felt Missoulians would more easily identify with this new name.”
Arts Missoula has been the designated arts agency for the city of Missoula since 1991. Its mission is to connect arts, culture and community through education, advocacy and education. Programs include administration, coordination or production of:
• SPARK! – Arts Ignite Learning, an initiative of the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, a city-wide collaboration to insure equity and access in arts education.
• First Night Missoula, the New Year’s Eve community arts celebration.
• City of Missoula Public Art Committee.
• First Friday Gallery Nights.
• Sister-City programs with Neckargemuend, Germany and Palmerston North, New Zealand, including Germanfest and New Zealand Day.
• Arts and Economic Prosperity, an economic impact report led by Americans for the Arts.
• Montana Book Festival.
• Directory of artists, organizations, venues, and other resources at artsmissoula.org.
• Community events calendar, maintained by Missoulaevents.net.
Arts Missoula was assisted in this process by Carter Andrues and Steve Robertson of Talent West and Full Moon Concepts. “Working with Steve and Carter has been a pleasure,” said Bensen. “They have kept us on track, and have been fun to work with – the whole experience has been positive.”
We would also like to thank the Missoulian for assisting us in the redesign of our website to reflect these changes. Our updated website will be ready soon.